I had promised myself some time ago that I would create a ‘flaming’ vase for my fireplace when the crocosmia was out.
I almost left it too late. . . .
But not quite.
I rescued the last of the crocosmia ‘Lucifer’ and sacrificed the only bloom from my orange crocosmia too -it was looking rather lonely anyway. I usually have loads and loads of orange crocosmia, but have been putting off splitting it for a few years now. This year is the first in about twenty that it hasn’t flowered. That’ll teach me.
The helenium ‘Moerheim Beauty’ was also past its best so I didn’t mind picking it. Even though it was rather a case of more cone than flower, it did add a nice colour to the vase.
The gaillardia ‘Goblin’ added some fiery colours at the front of the vase, not having very long stems, as did the bright red geraniums.
More orange colour was added using montbretia, and the climbing nasturtium ‘Ladybird’. If you like nasturtiums this is a great one to grow as it is so bright and also seeds itself every year.
Yellow colour was added with inula and rudbeckia.
The background greenery was provided by berries of a self sown hypericum, a big clump of euphorbia, some variegated eleagnus and some spikey leaves from an iris that I felt should make itself useful since it hadn’t flowered at all. I also included a couple of orangy fronds from my favourite fern -Dryopteris (Japanese Shield fern).
I decided to use my largest vase, some cut glass from Mdina, Malta and once I had enough stems in the vase it all came together very easily. I did wonder about the wisdom of cutting euphorbia on my kitchen worktop, but I gave it a good spray with disinfectant afterwards!
I placed the vase in the fireplace and used a piece of petrified wood to accompany it. This was something The Traveller had found in the Libyan desert back around 1980. (Yes he was travelling back then too!) I also tried some quartz candle holders for some of the photos and some yellow petals from a lovely single dahlia flower that hadn’t lasted the preparation.
The vase was not quite a fiery red as I had envisioned earlier, but I was very pleased with the result. The fireplace looks so bright and cheery now and the flowers look even better together in the vase than they did in the garden.
Thanks again to Cathy from Rambling in the Garden for hosting this meme. Without it I would never have had such a nice time this afternoon.