I am taking up the challenge by Duver Diary in which we make public our list of jobs for the next month and then own up at the end of the month as to what we haven’t achieved. As I love making lists this seemed to be a good challenge for me and the added push to get things done can only be good.
Also when you see our forecast at the moment you will see that I have plenty of good excuses at the ready should my resolves not actually get realised!
So here is my list – weather permitting!
- Start to redo the North facing wall border after removing a lot of crocosmia last Autumn.
– Shift the piles of soil against the wall, in particular to uncover the Euphorbia that will be coming though now at the garage end. The soil needs to be spread out along the wall to replace that that was dug out with the corms. Any left over can go at the top of the garden
– Plan what plants are going to go in here bearing in mind that there will probably still be some Crocosmia that comes through. This is North facing and quite windy and I want plants that will look after themselves. Also I don’t want plants that grow sideways too much as the bed borders the driveway. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
- Collect up the remaining beech nut shells from the front grass/moss and the remaining leaves from the borders.
- Prune clematis
- Source some more Snowdrops to plant ‘in the green’ as I have so few of these lovely plants.
- Mulch garden with leaf compost, plum tree with manure based compost and rhododendrons etc with ericaceous compost.
- Buy some potted Winter Aconites from garden centre and see what bargains are going at the moment – maybe something for that new border.
- If roses start to sprout and weather is suitable then spray to prevent black spot and greenfly.
So that should keep me busy, but meanwhile I am clearing out the house – nothing can be done in the garden today.