Not so much time for gardening this month as the days are so short….it gets dark here about 4pm, but after 21st December at least we are past the worst.
What is good in the garden?
- Look out for bulbs starting to come though in pots and in the garden –
narcissus, dwarf iris, snowdrops.
- Winter flowering jasmine is in full bloom.
- Unusually still have some roses out.
What needs to be done?
- Nothing essential – just a matter of continuing to tidy away leaves and other tree debris from the lawns and borders. These need to be clear before the spring plants start to emerge otherwise they will just be eaten by slugs and snails.
- Tidy any remaining herbacious plants and annuals unless you are leaving the seed heads for the birds.
- Keep birdbath full of clean water for birds to drink and clean their feathers.
- Keep bird feeders full to help birds through the winter.